Taking epsolin and encorate chrono for epilepsy. Facing walking difficulty. Side effect?

Nov 2013

My elder brother is having trouble of Epilepsy from approx last 8 yrs and from approx last 4 yrs he is taking Epsolin 100 and Encorate Chrono 500. Before approx 6 Yrs suddenly he faced trouble of walking and which he is facing at present also. At present it is not possible for him to walk indipendently or without any support. Neuro Doctor is saying that this is a neurological trouble due to Epilepsy and side effect of strokes they hv faced.
There is any role of above medicines in such trouble?

Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Epilepsy is a chronic disease, and epsolin (phenytoin) and encorate chrono (sodium valproate) are standard anti-epileptic drugs used for treating epilepsy.

Encorate chrono does not cause any walking disorder.

Epsolin, if used for long (typically 10 years of more), can lead to atrophy (shrinkage) of cerebellum (small brain at back of head). This can lead to imbalance while walking. This side effect of epsolin can be diagnosed on MRI scan of brain.

Your doctor's version of strokes affecting his walking may be correct. If it is possible to upload the MRI brain report, I would be able to pinpoint the exact reason.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad