Taking epilim for epilepsy. Having memory issues. How to diagnose my symptoms?

Hi I have epilepsy and am on epilim I am having trouble with forgetting things even getting words mixed up in a sentence. I feel so stupid as before I had epilepsy I had a great job and had done well in school. do you think its the epilim thats causing these things and if so what would you recomend I change to. I havnt had a seizer for over 1 year. Thanks XXXXXXX

Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 25 minutes later
Thanks for the query,
I am an Epileptologist responding to your query

Before I respond your query, I would stress that the exact medicine selection in the field of epileptology depends upon the type of epilepsy. A proper syndromic diagnosis is a must. Currently there is no role of empirical treatment.

The following possibilities are to be considered.
1. Side effects of medicines: Note that a combination of Epilim and carbamazepine can have such side effects. This can be resolved by optimizing one of these medicines in a reasonably good dose. This will depend upon the type of epilepsy (this can be diagnosed by MRI, EEG and the clinical data)

2. Such problem could (though unlikely) represent a brief focal seizure.

Please get a repeat EEG, visit your Epilepsy specialist/neurologist, and resolve this issue.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Taking epilim for epilepsy. Having memory issues. How to diagnose my symptoms? 30 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. I have Grand mal siezures in my sleep only. sorry to sound stupid but what is a EEG i do not have specialist as i live in a small town 3 hours drive from a city. My doctor doesnt seem to know much about epilepsy and because my seizures have stopped he is happy but Im not happy with the side effects and wondering how to improve these.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 14 minutes later
Note that a diagnosis of epilepsy is a must. The tablet Epilim that you are taking may result in weight gain, menstrual irregularities.

EEG_ Electroencephalogram just like ECG for heart.

EEG will help us guide you regarding medicine.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Taking epilim for epilepsy. Having memory issues. How to diagnose my symptoms? 48 minutes later
I do have problems with weight gain and work on this hard for my health. My doctor doesnt think I need a EEG as there are none available where I live and need to be refered for one to a city. He thinks as my seizures have stopped thats all that matters I dont know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 15 minutes later
Under this circumstance, better to continue both the medicines. When you plan to visit the city, you can do the tests and select the appropriate medicine.

Best wishes.