Taking epilim and seroquel for long. Insomnia after stopping medicine. How long it takes to cure?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been stable on epilim and seroquel for 8 years. Tried to stop for two nights and had insomnia and vomiting. How long does it take for these symptoms to stop?
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 51 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
Epilim is sodium valproate and seroquel is quetiapine. Both of them are good drugsfor bipolar mood disorder and they seem to have worked well for you as you have been maintained well on them for last 8 yrs. One concern while stopping these medications is that they never should be stopped abruptly. Along with anxiousness, palpitation and nausea it can also predispose you to relapse of mood episodes.
Iwould like to know following things:
1)Have you stopped it abruptly
2) At what dosage did you stop them?
3) Did your psychiatrist advise you to stop them?
4) When was you last mania/depression episode?
By knowing these details, we may serve you better.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Wish you a good health!

Follow-up: Taking epilim and seroquel for long. Insomnia after stopping medicine. How long it takes to cure? 55 minutes later
Last episode 2004. Ran out of meds due to boots cockup. Not seeing psychiatrist. Don't think I need them now.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 10 minutes later
In your case it will be unwise to stop the medications abruptly. You should restart the medications and after a month you should start tapering them as per the advise of your psychiatrist. Otherwise you may have a high chance of recurrence of your symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and review it if possible.
In case if you want to discuss with me directly you can use the link:
WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you a good health!

Follow-up: Taking epilim and seroquel for long. Insomnia after stopping medicine. How long it takes to cure? 1 hour later
I took them last night as I had a fresh batch that day. No symptoms of bipolar, just physical sickness. Ive not been under a psychiatrist for several years due to my stability. Why must I taper after a month, if I can ask. I would taper under my GP.By the way, taking 150 mg quetiapine, and 1000 mg sodium valporate

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 hours later
You need to taper the medications gradually as stopping them all of a sudden leads to a rapid fall in the blood levels of these psychotropics leading to physical symptoms and also increased risk of relapse. You should taper under your GP.
150 mg of quetiapine and 1000mg of valproate are too high to be stopped suddenly.
WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you a good health!