Taking epilem. Started getting memory problem. Is it reversible?

Nov 2013

My daughter had been on epilem since she was 19 she is now 32. She has a responsible management position with a multinational. She had been complaining of memory loss and asked me if she could get dementia at her age.
( I have a pharmaceutical background, marketing). I know that it is possible to get these sorts of symptoms with this drug. Is it reversible? I have trouble convincing her to get regular followi ups with the neurologist although she is very compliant.
hope you can help XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Epilim (sodium valproate) is a very good and effective medicine for treating epilepsy.

However, memory problems have been reported with epilim use. But the good news is that it is reversible.

So, if your daughter has memory problems, let her consult a neurologist, so that the type of memory loss can be documented. Also, one needs to exclude other common causes such as Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad