Taking enzymes and antidepressants for muscle spasms. Should I be worried?

Hi, I am XXXXXXX McNamara, my question is that I am taking some enzyImes with some antidepressants which I being taking for years. My son is a Chiropractic and is worry of the amount of opiates I have been taking for muscle spasms or crams after surgery.. He is treating me with enzymes for the liver and digestion as for intestines. Antidepressants are Diazepan and Vibriid. For pain Morphine 15 mg day 20mg night. What is your opinion. My Internist does not know because she does not like enzymes.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Muscles spasms are usually hard to treat and can cause severe pain. Usually, the medicine that is prescribed is a muscle relaxant alongwith a pain-killer. Opioids are usually prescribed in the scenario of severe pain that is uncontrolled with other pain-killers. Opioids can cause addiction and that is why your chiropractic is worried. The reason is that not many doctors feel comfortable to prescribe it on prolonged basis. I think you can try a combination of a non-opioid pain-killer plus a muscle relaxant.

Enzymes are recommended only if there is pancreatic enzyme deficiency. In other cases it can cause side effects like irritability, abdominal discomfort, diarrhea or constipation, abdominal cramps, etc.

Diazepam can also cause mild muscle incoordination and other side effects. But I guess it must be helping you a lot with getting sleep at night.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee