Taking enoxaparin for blood clot in arm due to broken shoulder. Noticed large knot and feeling sore. Can I use hot or cold pack?

Been taking enoxaparin for blood clot in arm due to broken shoulder. It's been a week now and I noticed I have a large knot on one side that is quite sore. Lots of bruising has showed up. The other side is fine. Should I use heat or cold to help the area where the knot is.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Warm compress

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

This is a very good question.

from the information you have recorded it looks like you might be suffering some bleeding under the skin. this can sometimes happen with long-term anticoagulation.

it is of particular importance that your doctor checks how thin your blood is currently. I am sure there is a schedule to monitor how well the warfarin is working. at some point when the warfarin is at a therapeutic level the Lovenox can stop.

I would continue warm compresses right now. Monitor for continued swelling or pain. If this continues to get worse I would contact your doctor immediately for physical examination and to check appropriate laboratory studies.

Thank you again for sending the question.

Dr. Galamaga