Taking eltroxin for hypothyroidism. Have high blood pressure and headache. What is the treatment?

My mother is 81 years old. She has been experiencing bouts of lightheadedness, and dizziness. As well she recently has been having very high blood pressure and severe headaches. She is taking eltroxin for hypothyroidism (previously hyperthyroid) as well as menacer for high cholesterol
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestion below... Detailed Answer: Hi, Your mother has been diagnosed with hypertension. I'd suggest to keep her blood pressure <140/90. I'd advise: - start a therapy with anti hypertensive drugs and to take them regularly. - must do regular monitoring of BP and thyroid hormones. - avoid/limit fatty, fried or salty foods and drinks. - keep in touch with cardiologist, endocrinologist. If the problem persist (after proper treatment for BP and Thyroid hormones) consult a neurologist. All the best to your mom and you! Dr.Benard