Taking eldem capsules and zincofer for discolouration in lips. What is the cure?

Dear Doctor, I am facing the problem of discoloration in lips. The problem arised in left corner of the mouth in lower lips about three years ago. But after consultation with skin doctor and taking medicine, it got cured. Now for the past 7 months, I find discoloration in the right corner and middle of the lower lips and right most corner of the upper lip. I consulted and changed about 3 doctors and have been taking medicine regularly. But there is no improvement but the condition is slowly spreading. I am worried as it is visible part of the face and people comment. One of the doctor say it is VITILIGO but the other doctor say it is vitamin deficiency and not related to vitiligo. I am very much confused. Also the doctor doesn't give any guarantee that it will be cured. He says I may have to take medicines for a year to see some change. But the last time, I had taken tablets only for 3-4 months and it got cured. I had taken ELDEM CAPSULES ALONG WITH ZINCOFER which gave me instant cure. But this time, it is taking long and giving mental disturbance. I do not smoke at all and I drink very rarely(once in a year). I am non veg eater and take lots of fruits. My nature of work is in the site as I am civil engineer. Also this sort of discoloration is not found anywhere else in my body but only in the lips. Please suggest me some faster cure for this ailment. Thank you. XXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later
Brief Answer: vitiligo over lips is slow to recover. Detailed Answer: Hi! XXXX, Thank you for posting your query. I can understand the worry you are going through.Even though one of the doctor has told you that it is Vitiligo ,I would like to confirm the finding.Is it de-pigmented like milky white ?I would also like to know whether it is increasing in size or not.In vitiligo we get milky white color of skin. Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.Even a close up picture of the lesion would help me further. So if you can send me a picture of the lesion on the lips ,I would appreciate. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.You can also email the same to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line. Let me explain you a bit about vitiligo. Vitiligo is an autoimmune condition ,where in our own body cell start destroying our own pigment producing cells and in this case its melanocytes which give color to our body.First check whether you have any other auto immune problem or not like thyroid problem etc. There are two basic types of vitiligo –one which is stable (not spreading) & other which is active (spreading).If it is spreading you need to take medicines which can stop the growth of the lesion .Secondly you need to re-pigment these white patches and that can be done by photo toxic medicines like melanocyl. Melanocyl comes in two forms –oral & cream/lotion. In extensive cases I prefer giving oral melanocyl .This tab has to be taken orally and following this patient has to expose these white patches to sunlight after 2hr. One has to protect his eyes during this treatment by wearing UVA protective glasses.Exposure to sunlight is only for few minutes . This treatment is called PHOTOTHERAPY or PUVA therapy. Some clinic or hospital have PUVA chambers where you can go and take PUVA therapy.This treatment gives color to your white patches. Along with this patient has to apply steroid creams over the skin too. Creams like tacrolimus or pimecrolimus can also be used .Other auto immune condition if present needs to be treated along with. In stable(those not spreading) localized cases of vitiligo we can also go for surgery called skin grafting(blister roof grafting). I would advice you to meet a dermatologist(allopathy) who would understand your problem and discuss with him the above points .I am sure you would get good relief. Vitiligo lips is slow to respond, specially if it has recurred . If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better. Awaiting for your reply. Regards, Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.