Taking elavil prophlactically for migranes. Missed period. Will the menstrual cycle resume back?

i had a normal period in XXXXXXX started 10mg of elavil prophlactically for migranes. July's scheduled period did not come at all. could that be the elavil or that i just turned fifty. i am feeling great, happy if my period is over. is this menopause no more periods? or the elavil and now that I stopped the elavil, for negative side effects, will the menstrual cycle resume. ? I was fifty in XXXXXXX again i feel great ,thought i felt some ovulation pain, today ? which I am familiar with. could you ovulate and not heave an actual monthly period.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. It is unlikely that the amytriptiline is giving amenorrhea (lack of menses) and more likely due perimenopause; anovulatory cycles become more frequent and periods irregular; one of the best ways to figure it out is obtaining FSH and LH levels, that indicate when your hormone production endogenously is becoming low as you approach menopause.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD