Taking effexor for anxiety and depression. Stuck in obsessive guilt feelings. Is this the right medication?

Hi. I am taking effexor for anxiety and depression. I am stuck in obsessive guilt feelings. I have read that exposure therapy is an option. Basically, I must expose myself to it, and feel the guilt which can be unbearable until I reach the point where the guilt no longer felt viscerally. Is this right and is my medication ok or is there anything better?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

You are taking Effexor (Venlafaxine) whichi a good medication and recommended for anxiety and depression.

In anxiey and phobias, exposure therapy is used in conjunction with relaxation exercises and/or imagery. In conjunction with learning how to bring about a relaxed state at-will, the therapy technique gradually exposes patients to what frightens them and helps them cope with their fears.Exposing someone to their fears or prior traumas without the client first learning the accompanying coping techniques — such as relaxation or imagery exercises — can result in a person simply being re-traumatized by the event or fear.

Therefore exposure therapy is typically conducted within a psychotherapeutic relationship with a therapist trained and experienced with the technique and the related coping exercises.

Please seek exposure therapy from a trained person for curative results. Taking medication needs to be discussed with your health care provider after analyzing complete history of problems and its improvement on medication.

I hope this answers your query.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor