Taking duromine for weight loss. Noticed blood in stool and have itchy anus. What is wrong?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi I AM 40 YEARS OLD FEMALE AND FOR THE PAST 3 MONTHS MY ANUS IS SO ITCHY. I HAVE WORMED MY SELF MANY TIMES. NIGHT TIME I AM ITCHIER. I COULD HONESTLY SCRATCH MY SELF CRAZY,
I HAVE TAKEN A OVER THE COUNTER CANESTEN AS NEAR MY PERIOD MY VAGINA IS QUITE ITCHY. I GO TO THE TOILET EVERY MORNING. SOMETIMES THERE IS BLOOD, AND I HAVE A SMALL MARBLE SIZED LUMP JUST OUTSIDE THE ANUS. I have been taking duromine 30mg to lose weightbut do not seem to be osing any. I took this 13 years ago aswell with great success and the weight stayed off till I had children.
my father passed away from colon cancer 5 yrs ago.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Anus itching, blood in stool and lump outside the anus are most likely caused by hemorrhoids. Itching is a very common symptom present with hemorrhoids.

The blood which appears should be bright red and on the surface of the stool or toilet paper. Hemorrhoids are usually caused by constipation, lack of physical activity, bad diet.
Vaginal itching can be related to hemorrhoids or it can be a symptom of vaginal infection (fungal for example). With this infection, whitish discharges should be present as well.
Pinworms also give itching around the anus. It appears mainly during the night. White worms can be sometimes seen around the anus.

If this is about the colon cancer, you need to know that the risk of it rises with the age of 50. And it is recommended for every person who is older than 50 to have a colonoscopy every 10 years.
However, if in the family, the person who had colon cancer was younger than 50 when cancer were detected, this person relatives should have first colonoscopy 10 years earlier than the cancer has appeared.
So if your father had for example 40 when diagnosed, you should have your colonoscopy at the age of 30. If he was older than 50, your first colonoscopy should be also when you will be 50 (or any symptoms will appear).

Here is what you should do:
- get tested for pinworms (transparent adhesive tape is applied on the anal area, and tested under the microscope for pinworms)
- visit general surgeon for rectal examination
- to improve hemorrhoids symptoms you can: increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake, keep your stool soft and avoid constipation, wash your anus after every stool, have sitz baths with Quercus Cortex twice a day, use OTC suppositories for hemorrhoids
- such treatment should help in a week or so, however it wont make the hemorrhoids disappear, permanent solution is surgery
- gynecologist should be visited to diagnose vaginal itching

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.