Taking duromine 15mg. Feeling lethargy. Should I increase or decrease the dose of medicine?

Psychiatrist
Question
I'm taking 15mg Duromine. Instead of feeling energetic I have increased lethargy and can hardly stay awake. Should I persevere, increase dose or cease taking? It does suppress hunger though.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Duromine (Phentermine) is a stimulant medication which is used for short-term treatment of obesity. The mechanism of action is by increasing the release of certain neuro-chemicals called 'catecholamines' which in turn supress your appetite and increase your metabolism. But, because of the effects on these neuro-chemicals, Duromine can also cause unpredicatble psychological changes. Contrary to a common belief, Duromine does not always produce a sense of mood elevation or increased energy. It can often produce increased anxiety, agitation, panic attacks and even a depressive effect on some people. Remember, menopause can itself cause mood fluctuations (due to the hormonal changes) and it is possible that the Duromine is causing this to be more erratic. So, it is highly likely that the increased lethargy, weakness and drowsiness are due the Duromine.

Therefore, I would advise you to stop the Duromine, as continuation may worsen your symptoms. Please try a combination of diet control and regular physical exercise as a weight loss option, since that is safe and can offer many other health benefits also.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Taking duromine 15mg. Feeling lethargy. Should I increase or decrease the dose of medicine? 14 minutes later
Thankyou, that makes sense.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 15 minutes later
I'm glad that my advise was beneficial to you.

Kindly close this query and leave a review if you are satisfied with the service.

Best wishes,

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist