Taking duphaston. Tested positive for pregnancy. No pregnancy symptoms. Am I pregnant?

I had my ovulation on 16th of this month & started taking duphaston from 18th onwards. on 31st I took home pregnancy test (while still on duphaston) & it showed positive. Am still on duphaston as I write this on 4th & today also, home pregnancy test showed positive. Am I really pregnant or there are HCG elements in duphaston which are responsible for the positive test? I am also taking Emfolic DHA capsules. Today is the last day of aking Duphaston as my doctor had asked me to take it for only 17 days. After 4-5 days, I will XXXXXXX him for a follow up. Would just like to know if I am pregnant. I do not have any symptoms of early pregnancy at all.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 51 minutes later

Duphaston contains dydrogesterone which is a progestogen. It does not have any impact on the hCG levels in the body and hence cannot effect a pregnancy test. Emfolic DHA capsules are a nutritional supplement, they are harmless.

The hCG levels in the body are influenced only by medications that contain hCG; such are given when artificial reproduction is being carried on. As you are not on any such medication, the question of interference does not arise at all.

Duphaston is safe in pregnancy. In fact, it is used as a prophylactic in recurrent pregnancy loss.

It is not necessary that you experience any symptoms of early pregnancy. Sometimes, they may appear a little later. In essence, all the evidence so far goes to conclude that you are indeed pregnant. You would get a definite confirmation if you have a trans-vaginal sonogram after seeing your doctor. This would give you the status of your pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.