Taking doxycycline hyclate for sinus and upper respitory infection. Side effect and precaution to be taken?

Hi Doc, i have been taking Doxycycline hyclate 100mg twice a day now for two days and have 8 more days to go due to sinus and upper respitory infection. How long after my last day of taking this med should i be concerned about to much sun exposure. Reason being im going on vacation to Jamaica in 15 days and i am a little concerned.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Rare side effect of doxycycline is photosensitivity. It is seen in long term prophylaxis for any condition like malaria prophylaxis. It seen in only 1% of individuals.
Doxycycline has half life of less than 1 day. It means single dose will get cleared in maximum 2 days from body.
You can enjoy your holidays without any hesitancy. There is sufficient gap between the treatment and holiday. It will not cause any serious side effects.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.