Taking doxycycline hyclate. Started talking in sleep and feeling confused. Side effect?

Are there side effects of a Psychological nature with Doxycline Hyclate 100 mg, My wife seems to be talking in sleep and at times confused>>>
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 50 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Though psychological side effects are not common with Doxycycline, yet they have been reported rarely. Generally, the elderly are much more prone to develop side effects of medication, especially the central nervous system side effects like confusion, problems with attention / concentration, sleep disturbances, drowsiness and sometimes, even delirium.

The psychological side effects of Doxycycline could be mediated through two mechanisms - one is the direct toxicity of the medication. Second is indirectly by causing interaction with other medication or through other effects like water and salt imbalance, which in turn, cause the psychological side effects.

Having said this, I would also like to let you know that there can be several other medical causes for her symptoms - like dehydration, carbon dioxide retention (due to her COPD), salt imabalances, abnormal sugar levels, high blood pressure, etc. So, I would suggest that you report this problem to her doctor so that your wife can have a proper assessment done to determine the cause of these symptoms. If necessary, a change in antibiotic may be advised.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist