Taking doxycycline for prostatitis. What cure and diet should be taken?

I have been diagnosed with prostatis , i have been taking Doxycycline for 5 days - twice a day . Can you please let me know what are the other things i need to be careful about like in terms of diet and also if i can masturbate / have sex . I feel i got this because i used to practice stop and start technique and i read in your website that can cause infection if i do not let the semen out everytime i masturbate . i had a habit of masturbating regularly but not letting the semen out .
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Since you have been seen by a doctor and prescribed an antibiotic,I would not go into details of the treatment part.
I would like to concentrate on general measures to be adopted by you. 
Take following measures.
Take some analgesic or anti inflammatory agent like ibuprofen if you have pain or fever.
Take stool softeners.
Have adequate hydration.
Do Warm to hot sitz baths 2-3 times daily for 30 minutes
Avoid foods exacerbating Prostatitis like
Avoid spicy foods,caffeine,alcohol etc
Continue sexual activity with frequent ejaculation
Relieve stress and keep anxiety and depression away by resorting to physical exercises,yoga and meditation.

Don't worry you shall be all right soon.
Be in regular touch with your doctor and take regular treatment.
 I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Taking doxycycline for prostatitis. What cure and diet should be taken? 15 hours later
Thank you very much Dr XXXXXXX Can you please let me know how i should do the hot sitz baths ? That would be very helpful.

And also in general how long does would it take completely heal from prostatitis.

Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 hours later
The Sitz bath is taken by sitting in a tub containing hot water.
This results in soothing of prostate and relief in symptoms.
The treatment of prostatitis depends upon the the type of prostatitis one is suffering from.
Acute bacterial prostatitis requires anti biotic treatment of 7 to 14 days in general while chronic bacterial prostatitis requires antibiotic treatment ranging from 4 to 12 weeks,however in some chronic cases low dose anti biotic therapy may be given for 4 to 6 months.
Be in regular touch with your treating doctor and abide by his instructions.
Best of luck