Taking doxazosine for urine problem. Have headache which gets severe when coughing. Related?

Question
I have a constant low grade headache that explodes when I cough or sneeze or strain....MRI, CT ,x-ray for sinus, and ongoing Visits with my Doctor are so far not helping.. I take Doxazosine 4mg every night for urine flow and have for years.. could this be causing my headache or do you have a suggestion..
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 21 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern

Headache can rarely be due to this medications. You can check with your urologist and consider change to a safe alternative. Another way of analyzing your problem could be the fact that it may not be related as you are on this medicine for a long time. Another important cause of headache in old age is temporal arteritis and this can be ruled out by doing simple blood test, ESR- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate.If this is elevated you can consult a local neurologist for the treatment

Hope this clarifies
Let me know if you have any other concern
Best wishes

Follow-up: Taking doxazosine for urine problem. Have headache which gets severe when coughing. Related? 26 hours later
Thank you for your reply... I have had this problem for at least 8 mnoths.... Does this fit with Temporal Arteritis as a cause? Thanks..

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 21 hours later

Thanks for the feed back

It could still be temporal arteritis. Please do the ESR and let me know

Hope this helps
Best wishes