Taking diphenhydramine and taking liquid form of zquill. Feeling dizziness and nausea. Would this be diphenhydramine withdrawal?

Question
I have been taking between 200-300mg diphenhydramine a night for about 5 months. I take the medicine in the liquid form of ZQuill, which is 10% alchol by volume per 50 mg dose. Knowing this is wrong, I stopped 46 hours ago and started feeling diziness and nausea around hour 40. Would this be diphenhydramine withdrawal?
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YES its from the withdrawal of diphenhydramine .

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

The answer is YES its from the withdrawal of diphenhydramine.

If you can tolerate withdrawal its fine other wise follow below mentioned way to get help.

Best way is to tapper it from having 200-300 mg per night here is the plan to get it out of your system safely.

a) 150 mg per night for next 4 weeks after that
b) 100 mg per night for next 2 weeks.
c) 50 mg per night for 2 weeks.
d) 25 mg per night for 1 week
e) ------------- STOP all together..............

Now in case the respective mg may not available in market use fraction to do it. It will alway be half of current dose.

Thanks for the query. Please feel free to contact me in case of any doubts.

Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Taking diphenhydramine and taking liquid form of zquill. Feeling dizziness and nausea. Would this be diphenhydramine withdrawal? 58 minutes later
Thank you for the reply. I'm so disgusted with myself for doing this, and want this stuff out of my system. How long would symptoms normally last if I keep going cold turkey? I'm 47 hours in. Are there any alternative medications that could subatitute for a safe taper?

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Benadryl

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back, Benadryl has similar content and I think it does not have alcohol so its little better.

Thanks again, as usual feel free to contact me.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Taking diphenhydramine and taking liquid form of zquill. Feeling dizziness and nausea. Would this be diphenhydramine withdrawal? 2 minutes later
Thank you. What about an expected time frame for symptoms to go away if i remain cold turkey? I have now started vomiting.

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It varies but i will say about week to 2 weeks

Detailed Answer:

welcome back, it varies from person to person but it will be 7 -14 days.

If you can't bare and do have continuous vomiting near by physician.

Thanks again.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX