Taking diovan for blood pressure. What should I do to keep normal kidney function?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello doc,
I'll be 60 in 45 days, My blood test ( 2/24/2013 showed my GFR went down from 19 to 16 (Stage 4).
I am taking low dosage of BP (Diovan 160mg) med for my blood pressure ( seems very controlled) Sugar ok, cholesterol ok, BMI- 24.5 (good)
I have been following good diet for kidney ( low sodium, low potassium etc)
I do light workouts 3 - 4 times a week
Question:
What else can I "do or take" to keep my kidneys continue functioning and not get worsen?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Chronic kidney disease is slowly proceeding degeneration of kidneys cells and can not be reversed. This degeneration causes low GFR level and unfortunately there is no medicine which would improve it. That is why the only way to get back proper functioning kidney is a transplant of this organ.
Described by you diet, blood pressure control, cholesterol proper level are the only things which can slow down this process.
That is why you should be prepared for kidneys transplant.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Taking diovan for blood pressure. What should I do to keep normal kidney function? 4 minutes later
Doc:
I just sent you my latest Blood Tests.
I have no job or health insurance.
Would you know any governtment agency or entitties who can help me?
I am US citizen

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Hello!

Your creatinine level from September 2012 is 3.3. You should have checked it again (blood level) as you may already need dialysis.
Moreover, I have found at your blood work eosynophiles level elevation, what usually indicates parasites of gastrointestinal tract. Therefore you should have stool tests performed.
Here is some link which you may find helpful: WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Taking diovan for blood pressure. What should I do to keep normal kidney function? 46 minutes later
Doc:
I just sent you the recent blood test ( 2/5/2013 ) ..

The one I sent you originally was last year's 9/19/2012

Please give me your opinion based on the later or recent blood test.

Thank you..

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later
Hello!

1.Your creatinine level and urea level are stable as well as ions level (potassium level is very important factor of kidneys failure - it is in ref. range so it is fine). This means your kidneys disease has not gotten worse since last results. You do not need dialysis right now.
2. Your sodium level is little bit low - you may try to increase a little bit of mineral water intake.
3.Your hemoglobin level is slightly below the ref. range. This is quite characteristic for chronic kidneys disease. However I suggest you to have iFOBT (fecal occult blood test) performed -you can get it without prescription and perform by yourself.
4. Your HDL cholesterol is too low. This is the good cholesterol which protects blood vessels from arterosclerosis. It can be increased by physical activity (I know you do workouts), and having a glass of red wine few times a week (like 3 times - not everyday).

Regards.