Taking diltiazem. Have low blood pressure. Should I stop taking medicine or reduce the dosage?

My mother has been taking Diltiazem for 20 plus years ,her weight was around 219 pounds,she is 89 years old now and weighs 115 pounds.Her blood pressure over the past 2-3 week has been low 96/49 92 /54 etc. Should she be taken of the med or have the dose reduced?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Diltiazem a calcium channel blocker is been used widely in the management of high blood pressure and heart disease (chest pain). I presume your mother is on diltiazem for chest pain.

Though the drug can have effects on blood pressure (lowering it), there have not been any reports of weight reduction. Her weight reduction probably has another cause which needs to be explored.

In all, both her low blood pressures and weight loss concerns me. I would want her medications reduced if not stopped and evaluated for weight loss. Perhaps this could be due to low of intake or some lurking infection. Discuss with her treating doctor at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more enquiries.