Taking diethylpropion. Suggest a safe and effective anti- depressant

Hi, I am on diethylpropion 75mg and I think I need an anti- depressant. Which would be the safest to take? Thank you
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 18 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Diethylpropion is amfepramone which is a psychostimulant and appetite suppressant. Escitalopram which is a SSRI group of antidepressant is the safest due to minimal drug interactions. However, you would require a thorough psychiatric evaluation before starting on an antidepressant. The decision should be at the discretion of your psychiatrist and these psychotropic medications should not be taken in the over the counter format. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Taking diethylpropion. Suggest a safe and effective anti- depressant 3 minutes later
Could you tell me what a psychotropic medication is? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Psychotropic medication is any medication routinely used in psychiatry including antidepressants.
Dr Sundar