Taking depo-estradiol. Weight gain in chest, shoulders and stomach. What happens if I stop the injection?

Infertility Specialist
I have been taking depo-estradiol for almost 15 years. I am 64. I take the shots every 2-2 1/2 weeks. I am wondering what would happen if I stopped. I have gained almost 30 pounds, mostly in my chest, shoulders and stomach. How much does my body depend on it for proper brain function?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
stop injections

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. If you stop the injection, you might feel some symptoms of withdrawal like hot flushes, irritability etc.. But it will be temporary. After about 6 months your body will get used to it and you may not feel much. If you find troublesome, you can always take tablets for hormone replacement for a while. In view of long tern health it is better to stop injections. They are no longer needed now. Let me know if you have any more queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol