Taking deepakote, buspin, palaris, tegrital and sizodon. Ia pregnancy safe while taking these medications?

i am 38 and been married for 6 months and we want a baby it safe to get pregnant at this age.Morever i am on medication like deepakote,buspin and palaris and my husband is on tegrital and sizodon. he wants a child now.please there any other method of getting pregnant if it does not happen naturally.
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
As far as the chances of having a healthy baby are concerned, the chances reduce when the mother's age is above 35. So yes, in your case, there is an increased chance of the baby not being perfectly healthy. Children born to older age mothers have an increased risk of having Down's syndrome and other congenital abnormalities. Further, the risk of having complications during pregnancy like miscarriage, high blood pressure and diabetes is increased. So it is essential that proper monitoring be done and you should receive excellent care before and after your pregnancy to minimize this risk. You would need to have an excellent diet and take folic acid 5 mg once daily 2-3 months before you conceive.
Depakote as such increases the risk of congenital abnormalities in children and I would suggest you speak with your physician that you be switched to another drug before you conceive.
There are several other methods available like intrauterine insemination ( your husband's sperms are injected into the uterus at time of ovulation), in vitro fertilization (your ova and your husband's sperms are fused in a test tube which is them implanted in your uterus) and several others. These options need to be explored only if you fail to conceive after trying for 1 year (you would need to have unprotected intercourse atleast on alternate days, especially between days 10-18 of your cycle, if you have a 30 day cycle. Day 1 is the day menstrual bleeding starts).
Given your age, I would suggest you see a gynaecologist. Once we have a few tests like an ultrasound of the pelvis, your husband’s semen analysis ; that would provide the best way forward.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Taking deepakote, buspin, palaris, tegrital and sizodon. Ia pregnancy safe while taking these medications? 21 hours later
what should my diet compromise of?can u give a chart what i should have for a month daily?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later

A diet chart is professionally made by Dietitians understanding your requirements. I shall give you a general note.

1) You should replace fat XXXXXXX food with vegetables and fruits. I advise you 4 cups of vegetable and 2 cups of fruit per day. If you like fruits you can increase it to 4 cups as well.

2) Replace full fat milk with skimmed milk. You should consume dairy products like milk / yogurt up to 3 cups a day.

3) If you consume fish, it is a very good idea to include this at least twice a week.

4) Food XXXXXXX in minerals, fibre is important. Soyabean, Legumes, all XXXXXXX leafy vegetables should be added in our daily diet in any form like curry, dal, sambar etc.

5) A handful of walnuts, almonds each day supplements with Omega 3 fatty acids.

6) Imagine a plate of single meal, one third with cereals (rice, wheat, ragi, jowar etc), one fourth of it with vegetable and fruit, one fourth with legumes and protein one fifth of it with dairy products and less than one tenth of the plate with high fat food.

With this information and your likings you can design a diet plan according to your culinary habits.

Let me know if I can assist you further, else you can close the discussion.