Taking dayquil and nyquil. Noticed purplish color of semen. Are they related?

I took day quil and nyqui over the past 4 days while drinking more than 3 drinks a day. Why is my semen purple?
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A purplish colour of the semen is most likely due to the presence of blood in the semen. Traces of blood in the semen can cause the colour to change into a reddish brown or purplish colour.

It is unlikely to be related to the Quil and Nyquil, as there is no valid medical or clinical evidence that these formulas cause a discolouration of semen. So, the prior consumption of these medication would have just been co-incidental.

The most common reasons for the presence of blood in semen are trauma / injury to the urinary tract or an infection. Often infections like prostatitis (infection of the prostate gland), urethritis (infection of the urethra), etc. can cause this problem. Very rarely, polyps or tumours of the urinary tract can also present this way.

Fortunately, this does not indicate a serious problem in most cases. So, if this has been just a one-off symptom, then I would suggest that you drink plenty of fluids, and observe if this problem settles down on its own. Cranberry juice is a natural urinary antiseptic and can help clear off mild infections. In case this is happening repeatedly and or you have any other additional symptoms like painful ejaculation, burning sensation while passing urine or fever, then you may need a detailed evaluation, including semen and urine tests.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar