Taking cyclosporin for aplastic anemia. Which vitamin and mineral should I take?

I take cyclosporin for aplastic anemia. It has been determined that I most likely will remain on it for the rest of my life as my blood counts drop significantly each time we try to reduce my intake. I need to know what vitimains and minerals I can and cannot take. I'm specifically interested in magnesium glycinate.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query,

Unless you have magnesium deficiency there is generally no reason to take additional magnesium in your diet. A good multivitamin such as Centrum or OneADay has some trace minerals and electrolytes which should be more than enough to supplement your diet as long as you are eating a healthy and well-balanced diet on a daily basis.

Aplastic anemia can be difficult to treat and on many occasions, lifelong medical management is the most appropriate option. As far as additional supplements, as long as your blood tests do not indicate any deficiency such as with potassium, magnesium or other electrolytes there's no general need for additional supplementation.

Thanks again for the query,

Dr. Galamaga