Taking crestor for cholesterol. Have high liver enzymes. Should I be concerned?

Here are the results, before and one month after taking Crestor for cholesterol. I have always had high liver enzymes, and I don't drink:
Cholestrol 215 137
HDL     30     33
LDL 155 59
chol ratio 7.1 4.1
triclyc. 194 232
alt 89 98

Should I be concerned about anything?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 59 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There is excellent reduction in LDL (bad) Cholesterol... Great.

HDL just XXXXXXX a little / regular exercise can help to improve more

Triglyceride has risen - Reduce the Carbohydrate in the diet / reduce weight? - What is your height- weight- BMI? / do regular exercise - 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week /

ALT has risen a bit / if 'always high', it may not be from the statin.
Watch - repeat in 6 weeks
Have UltraSonoGraphy for the Liver & see Hepatologist to make sure nothing is missed...

Keep following up Liver & Lipids
Organise an Excel spreadsheet -for comparison...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Taking crestor for cholesterol. Have high liver enzymes. Should I be concerned? 22 minutes later
I am 5 foot 10 inches. I weigh 190 pounds.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 41 minutes later

Your BMI is 27.3 - OVERWEIGHT (Normal < 25 / Obese > 30)
Probably, you are having fatty liver from this...
You ought to aim for less than 170 lbs / better to 150, for long term health!

You have to reduce the QUANTITY of your food and change the QUALITY too. It is not possible to explain or understand the nuances on a single occasion. To start with, reduce the amount to one third of what you are presently taking. Avoid all fats – they have double the energy of carbohydrates. You should see a good DIETICIAN - One generally needs SEVERAL sessions, to master concepts of calories, nutritional values, biological value, vitamins, minerals and so on.

Exercise helps But you need to do really severe and prolonged exercise – several hours. Start half an hour a day and slowly step up every week. Its role is however is limited. For example, in walking 1 kilometre, one spends 1 Calorie per kilogram (2.2 lb) of his body weight! A cup of rice or an average bar of chocolate has approximately 200 calories. A treadmill may help. The ideal solution is to get yourself enrolled in a Gym and have a supervised program.

Follow-up: Taking crestor for cholesterol. Have high liver enzymes. Should I be concerned? 4 hours later
When I say that I have always had high liver enzymes, below are the readings from various physicals I have had over the years. Only twice have the ALT readings been normal. The highest ever was 102. Why are the scales on some of the physicals for ALT saying 0-40, and some say 11-65? Are they different kinds of readings? Do these consistently high readings mean I have liver disease? Is there anything I can do to get these numbers down? Because I am taking a statin now, what liver enzyme level would be acceptable? What level is dangerous?

year     reading ALT/SGPT     scale     high?
2001     56      0--40     H
2002     49      0--40     H
2003     30      0--41     
2004     89      0--40     H
2005     70      0--40     H
2006     102      11--66     H
2009     78      30--65     H
2010     41      7--51      
2012     54      0--41     H
2013     89      30-65     H
2013 (2nd) 98      30-65     H

Thanks, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later

Liver disease is not likely – it may simply be fatty liver from overall weight.

This is not a contra-indication to start or continue statin.

The thing to do is get your weight down.
Do not take any drug without medical advice – antibiotics, anti-fungals, Paracetamol...

There are several enzymes and tests for liver – but ALT is specific for liver. At times, AST is done.
There are many others like ALP, GGT and so on depending on the context.

The laboratory reference ranges – global standards are set by experts in the field and are re-evaluated / revised periodically from population studies / Adjustments are made for the method of measurement, age (especially in the young), local population and the area laboratory's standardisation. Usually 2 standard deviations, even up to 10% margin is considered permissible.

Levels that are three or more times the upper limit need further and frequent follow up.

Good luck