Taking coveram for HBP. Blood test showed high efgr level, have fluctuating BP level. Kidney disease?

I am 33 years old and have been on Coveram for high BP for about 1.5 years now. My BP readings are as follows:
In clinic with the doctor : 120-138 / 60-70
and at home : 108-118/60-70
I am not sure why this is the case though I am stressed out when I am in my GPs clinic.
Recently as part of my care program I had undergone blood test everything was good except my efgr number which was 65. It was 63 a year ago and 67 6 months ago. Does this mean that I am now suffering from Kidney disease. I have been very dilligent with my diet and exercise and I have lost almost 14 Kgs in the last 1.5 years. I do 30 minute cardio and 15-20 minute of strength training everyday Monday - Friday. I have been eating healthy with minimal junk food and have increased my fruit and vegetable intake. I have also reduced my alcohol and fizzy drink consumption to near zero levels. I do take L-Carnitine and whey protein as supplement. Can these 2 supplements affect my kidney function. How do I improve this efgr number. Please help I do not want to die so soon for the sake of my 2 lovely little kids and a beautiful wife.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later

The changes in your blood pressure are called as white coat hypertension. It is found in many patients who exhibit higher blood pressure in the clinics. It is due to anxiety and should not be worried about.

The eGFR or estimated glomuler filtration rate is a measurement used to check the stage of renal failure in a person with renal failure. The tests requrie creatine clearance test to be performed first to ascertain the level of creatinine that is filtered out of the urine. And values that range between 60 and 90 indicates healthy kidney function. However, if the eGFR blood test range is below 60, it reveals the possibility of a kidney disease.
Since your eGFR is above 60, it is normal at the moment. All the values written by you are almost constant and nothing much should be done in minor variations. However make sure that you are not very overweight as  an overweight individual may also not show correct results due to increased mass.

It would also be better if you can get the following tests done regularly after discussing with your treating doctor.
1. Urine (protein or blood)
2. Blood (creatinine and urea)
3. Blood pressure
4. Blood sugar

Some "Do's" for you.....( these measures keep your kidney functions healthy and GFR in control)
- Keep a healthy blood pressure (less than 120/80 for most people)
- Control your blood sugar if you have diabetes
- Eat a heart healthy diet (low in fat and salt)
- Exercise most days of the week to keep a healthy weight
- Do not smoke or use tobacco
- Take antihypertensives which protect your kidneys like ACE inhibitors and ARB's.
PERINDOPRIL is an ACE inhibitor.

"I am glad that you are following most of the above measures. Keep it up!!

You may keep taking the supplements as per advice of your doctor 

I hope this helps; However you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck!!
Follow-up: Taking coveram for HBP. Blood test showed high efgr level, have fluctuating BP level. Kidney disease? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor

Thank you for your response. I do take Coveram. I f I keep my workout schedule steady and keep working out will I be able to defeat the HYperTension and increase my longevity?
So according to you I still have some time to live?
Also are there any other people in my age group suffering from the HYpertension condition and is taking L-Carnitine supplement a good thing to do or it affects in adverse manner.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later

As I advised above keep a good control on your blood pressure and your weight.

Avoid painkillers and drugs, which are toxic to kidneys.

Take low salt healthy diet.

You can live a perfectly normal life.

L carnitine is a natural amino acid produced in body. In fact, L carnitine is used in people in whom natural levels are low.

Because kidneys produce carnitine, kidney disease may lead to the deficiency of carnitine in the body. Thus, carnitine may be prescribed to those with kidney disease. When it can be prescribed to people suffering from kidney disease, you shouldn't have any problem in taking it, as you are perfectly all right at the moment.

Follow-up: Taking coveram for HBP. Blood test showed high efgr level, have fluctuating BP level. Kidney disease? 32 minutes later
Thank you so much doc you have allayed my fears. Thank you so much.
Whenever I am in Delhi next will endeavor to XXXXXXX up.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query anytime.