Taking coumodin after heart surgery and stroke. Found out pregnancy. Safe to go for abortion?

My friend had heart surgery and stroke at 30 yrs old just 2 weeks after giving birth. She's been on coumodin ever since (about a year) now. Problem is she just found out she's 4 weeks pregnant.
How safe is it for her to have an abortion now? What abortion procedures would you recomment, if any.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 44 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with this question.

Your friend is in a very difficult situation. The two basic means of aborting the pregnancy involve medications given orally or vaginally OR a D&C procedure. Given the fact that she is on blood thinners makes this very tricky. She needs a consult visit with an OBGYN. It would seem to me that the most controlled manner that this could be performed would be switching her to heparin, creating a small window where she was off of the heparin, performing the procedure and then immediately re-anticoagulating her. It sounds like her continuing the pregnancy is likely life threatening, so an abortion seems very reasonable. She absolutely needs to see a doctor as soon as possible!

I hope that this helps.