Taking coumadin. Large purple swollen patch appeared inside wrist. Side effect?

Nov 2013

85 yr old female on Coumadin has a large purple swollen patch inside of wrist. It appears to have some small white spots in it. She doesn't recall being bitten but may have?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I have seen the clinical photograph, and it appears to be a small hematoma (bleeding) underneath the skin.

The likely cause is coumadin tablet.

Please check her PT/INR blood test, and based on the report, the dose of coumadin may require adjustment.

As of now, there is no need to worry. The skin patch over the wrist would resolve on its own in a few days.

Insect bite is less likely as it would lead to intense itching.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM