Taking contraceptive pills. Had sex. Should I take the emergency contraception pill for extra protection?

I have a question. I am on the pill, started taking it about 2 weeks ago on the first day of my period. During this time, I've been taking it at about the same time every day and have forgotten to take it twice, taking it the next day on both occasions. Yesterday I had sex with protection but he did not remove his penis from inside me right after ejaculation. I am afraid that possibly semen got inside me. Should I take the day after pill or would that be an unecessary excess of hormones?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Extra protection is preferable in the first cycle.

Detailed Answer:

If you are taking the contraceptive pills for the first time in this month, extra protection is preferable as complete protection cannot be expected during the first cycle. As you are about the time of your ovulation, I think you should consider extra protection. It is true that the body receives excess hormone this way, but, it also ensures safety from conception. Please remember, if you take emergency contraception, you can expect a breakthrough bleeding and a delay in the next cycle.

The preferable mode of added protection in future would be a barrier method. Also, please take your medication regularly. Repeated missed doses can make a cycle unsafe.

Hope your query is answered. Please contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Taking contraceptive pills. Had sex. Should I take the emergency contraception pill for extra protection? 19 hours later
Perfect, I went ahead and took Plan B yesterday (did not take my normal daily dose of the pill, only Plan B). Today, do I continue taking the rest of the pills daily normally from now on? Making sure not to miss and take the pill at the same time.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, continue with regular contraception.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Please continue with the rest of the cycle of the pill as the emergency pill will protect you only from the particular act of intercourse and not throughout the cycle. Please remember, you are sure to experience certain side effects of the excess hormone, but do not worry, this will contain itself to this cycle only. Please do continue with the oral pills regularly hereafter and this will help you more and provide you regular protection. Emergency pills should be taken with very restricted use (only a couple of times a year).

Hope your doubt is clarified. Please contact for further information. I will be ready to help.