Taking clozazepam. Safe and easy method to stop taking this medicine?

Dec 2014

Hello, I am wanting to know the safest and easiest way to taper off of taking clonazepam. I have been taking this drug for 7 years and have taken 0.5mg tablets one to three times daily depending on the amount I feel I needed that day. Most days I take two tablets. I know I am having side effects that I fear could become permanent. I no longer want to feel I need this drug to cope with every day problems. Could you advise me what to do?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 28 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine drug. It is one of commonly prescribed drugs for sleep problems, anxiety etc. disorders. You are taking Clonazepam 0.5 mg 1-3 times a day for last 7 years.
Its good that you are aware of its side effects as well as dependence potential.
Now how to stop it?

It is good that you are taking 1-1.5 mg of dose daily and it is not a very high dose. With just enough motivation you can quit it. If you stop it abruptly you may have slight restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, irritation as withdrawal symptoms. So best it to taper it slowly.

As you are taking about 2 tabs daily, from now make a pledge to take only one tablet a day. Set your goal for about 2 weeks. Over 2 weeks take only one tablet only and if you are compelled to take one more tablet write down it on a paper. At the end of 2 weeks assess your intake. After 2 weeks start taking 0.25 mg tablets daily for next 2 weeks. Don't take more than that. Then in next 2 weeks take 0.25 mg every alternate day and stop taking completely at the end of 6 week period.

This is easiest method to stop taking drug. To cope anxiety and insomnia due to absence of drug try relaxation methods as Breathing Exercises, Progressive Muscle Relaxation Techniques and Meditation. These techniques will help in keeping yourself relaxed and maintaining proper deaddiction.

Hope I cleared your doubt, If you have more questions you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)