Taking clonzepam for anxiety. Started getting spasms in chest. What is going on?

Pediatrician
Question
I am taking clonzepam for anxiety and today I've been getting spasms in my left chest.
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I would appreciate if you can update me on:
1. Your age.
2. From when have you been taking clonazepam and in what dosage?
3. Did you lift or move any heavy item lately?
Clonazepam does not have any cardiac or muscular side effects.

The spasm that you are describing in the left chest can be either a muscular pain which may be aggravating in moving your left arm or can be a continuous pain of cardiac origin. I suggest that you get an electrocardiogram done immediately to rule out the possibility of cardiac cause of the pain.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Taking clonzepam for anxiety. Started getting spasms in chest. What is going on? 10 minutes later
I'm 29 years old. I am a bellmen so I am lifting bags all day
I take a 0.5 dosage for when my anxiety starts to act up

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 9 minutes later

Thanks for the update.

It is most likely to be muscular in origin. You can take some analgesic and observe. However it will be better to get an echocardiogram done to exclude cardiac cause of the spasm.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv