Taking clonazepam. Want to get pregnant. How safe is it to take during pregnancy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hi I am taking 1 mg of clonazepam a day. I want to get pregnant how safe is it to take during pregnancy? my doctor who is a P..A. SAYS IT IS OK TO TAKE AND MY MD DOCTOR SAYS I SHOULD NOT TAKE IT AND HE GAVE ME HYDROXY -ZINE BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK FOR ME PLEASE HELP.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for the query.

There is scientific evidence that clonazepam,as any other benzodiazepines can increase risk of fetal developmental disorders so it is category D by FDA(which means that there is postive evidence of human fetal risk and it should only be given during pregnancy when there are no alternatives and benefit outweighs risk.
This beneft means that it should be used for some more serious diseases such as epilepsy, convulsions etc. I think that you should not take this risk just because of anxiety treatment which can be unpleasant condition and should be treated,but try to do it with psychotherapy and nonmedication therapy. This is my opinion(of course,the risk of fetal disorder is very small and probbaly nothing will happen,but it is up to you and your doctor to decide are you gonn atake it or not). YOu can try fluoxetine and the tricyclic antidepressants if you really needs medicines.Thise ones are less harmful for your pregnancy.
WIsh you good health. Regards.If you have any questions I ll be glad to help
Follow-up: Taking clonazepam. Want to get pregnant. How safe is it to take during pregnancy? 18 minutes later
how about citalopram is this a safe med
what medication is one that works right away like clonazepam I mean as soon as I take it I feel normal again
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 51 minutes later

Well, triazolam or lorazepam or chlordiazepoxide (Librium) may be helpful and are similar to clonazepam and considered to be more safe during pregnancy,though there is no enough researches about its effects. Consult your doctor about these medicines or continue with clonazepam in as low dose as you can.