Taking clomid, sitrodin, progynova for increasing of follicle size. Need help to read the report

Infertility Specialist
Question
I took CCQ 50(clomid) for 5 days and had a follicular study done on the 9th day of my LMP, and the follicle size on both ovaries was 10 mm.. doc gave me Sitrodin 75 mg injection and tabs Progynova 1 mg for 10 days.
i did a follow up yesterday , 12th day, and the report said right ovary follicle 10 x 8 mm and left ovary follicle 14 x 8 mm.. what does this mean? have my follicles grown in size? i have another follow up scan tomorrow..
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 12 hours later
Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX
Well, the follicle on the left ovary has grown in size, but it needs to be at least 18 mm (average follicular diameter). You need to do follow up scans as advised by your doctor.
I think I have answered your query and would like to answer further such queries in future.
Thanks, take care
DR. BISWAJIT DASH

Follow-up: Taking clomid, sitrodin, progynova for increasing of follicle size. Need help to read the report 10 hours later
i did a follow up scan today and the report looks promising. the follicle on the left ovarty has grown in size and is now 20x 13 mm. endometrial thickness is 6.6mm. is this a good sign? i am on my 14th day now.

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 4 hours later
Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX
Well, its a definite good sign that your follicle has grown . I would just like to know what your doctor has advised you.Whether he advised you any injections or simply a follow up scan... Regarding the endometrial thickness,8 mm is desirable.
and I think, we will be able to achieve it in a day or two.
I would like to hear from you, so be in touch
Take care, bye
DR. BISWAJIT DASH

Follow-up: Taking clomid, sitrodin, progynova for increasing of follicle size. Need help to read the report 45 hours later
Hi Doctor,
thankyou so much for your prompt replies. I did a follow up scan on tuesday and the doctor at the lab told me to go ahead and wait for the follicle to rupture as this might be anytime soon. But when i consulted with my regular ob/gyn she told me to take an injection for it to rupture as this was induced ovulation. Should i wait and check with a follow up scan on Saturday or go ahead with the injection?
she also asked me to go for IUI. What is your advice? We haven't yet tried naturally so don't know if it will be successful or not. so do we need to do IUI as yet?pls advise

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 27 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

My opinion are as follows:

1. Since you are already on day 16/17, I think you better take the injection advised by your doctor for follicular rupture.

2. Since you have not tried naturally, I think you can pretty well go for few planned intercourse cycles before IUI. Discuss with your treating doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other clarifications.

All the best.
regards,
DR.Biswajit

Thankyou very much doctor. yes this answers my query. i will be taking the injection today.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 6 hours later
Thanks Mrs. XXXXXXX

I am happy that I could be of help to you. I will be available to answer other queries. Please rate and review the answer if you have no further queries.

DR. BISWAJIT DASH

Follow-up: Taking clomid, sitrodin, progynova for increasing of follicle size. Need help to read the report 3 hours later
Hello doctor,
I spoke to my obgyn today. Did a follow up scan as well. The follicle on the left ovary has now grown to 33mm.she said not to take the injection as the follicle has grown really well and may rupture anytime now.she advised to try and wait until next month to check if its successful. But how do I know if this follicle will rupture? Should I keep on doin follow up scans?

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 22 hours later
Hello Mrs XXXXXXX

I can pretty well understand your concerns. I think ,you can do a follow up scan after 3 days and in the mean time ,you try naturally.

Actually what happens is that very large follicles are empty follicles and in many circumstances don't carry the egg. Generally the matured foliicle size ranges from 18 to 30 mm in most circumstances. Hence it can be inferred that the follicle size is not too big (a subjective error of 3 mm is acceptable).
If you don't want to do any further scans now, then please do a day 2 scan next month before starting medicines to confirm that no residual follicle remains in the ovary.

Hope I have clarified your doubts.
I would like to know if you have any further queries.
THANKS,
Take care,
BISWAJIT