Taking clindamycin. Having bowel movements, rust colored and several times. Took hydrocodone. Had vomiting. Concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
After 3 days days of taking clindamycin, I started oozing continuously and/or my bowel movements were formed but about the diameter of a pencil, rust colored & several times a day!! This continues 1 day after I DC'd the med after five days of taking it? How long will this last & should I be concerned?

Also, I took one dose of hydrocodone that had expired! I did this on day 1 of taking the clindamycin and 1 to 2 hrs later I had 4 episodes of profuse vomiting. do you think that this was caused by the antibiotic or the expired drug. Today, I started on Keflex.

Thank you!!
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

You didnt mention why are you taking antibiotics.

This is probably caused by clindamycin and this is its classical side effect which is called pseudomembranous colitis. This is resulting from Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea because clidnamycin kills both "good" and "bad" bacteria in our bowels. After this, bacteria called clostridium difficile grows and causes colitis with bloody, mucous diarrhea.

So, I don't think that hydrocodone has anything with it, however even this is possible, but usually expired medicines don't cause any problems.

It usually lasts for short time, 3-6 days and doesn't progress to anything serious.

But, if I am right, then I don't suggest to take Keflex as it can cause the same symptoms or aggravate these. Pseudomembranosus colitis is treated by Metronidazol or Vancomycin. Consult your GP about this and ask him about further treatment.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Taking clindamycin. Having bowel movements, rust colored and several times. Took hydrocodone. Had vomiting. Concerned? 1 hour later
In response, I was taking the med for an abscessed tooth. I have a hx of good luck with keflex for this problem.

Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 hours later

Ok. Clyndamicin and Keflex are strong antibiotics, and it shouldnt be used for long time. I am sure your tooth will recover soon.