Taking cipro for a UTI. Having pain, loss of appetite and pain in mouth. Looking for alternate medicine

Dec 2012

Thank you !!! I am taking Cipro for a UTI which the doctor prescribed for me a week ago.
Since then I have not felt that it as helped me. I still have some pain and I have a loss of appetite, and a bad taste in my mouth. Is there some other drug that could be subtituted which would not have such bad side effects ?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX
If you have taken cipro for 1 week and you still experience any symptom related to the UTI (that you had before starting the cipro), it means it is either the microbes that caused the UTI are resistant to the cipro or that the cause for your symptom was not UTI (probably there is an associated condition probably of the GIT if pain is abdominal).
There are numerous drugs/antibiotics that can substitute cipro such as augmentin, erythromycin etc but it will be wise for you to XXXXXXX your doctor and let him reevaluate you to see if another cause is not involved and if still thinks that UTI is the cause, then another antibiotics might be given probably after a urine culture has been done.

Hope this helps and wish you the best
God bless
Dr. Bernard