Taking cipralex for the last 2 years. Got pregnant. What should I do?

Hi I take cipralex for the last 2 years I got pregnant what Iam suppost to do please thank u
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query.

Cipralex is a drug which is generally avoided during pregnancy. The safety of escitalopram during pregnancy and breast feeding has not been established. It may cause spontaneous abortion / harmful fetal effects.

After pregnancy i.e. in lactation period, it is not advised because it is excreted in human milk and can cause harm to child.

With this information, I suggest you to discuss further with your gynecologist / treating doctor and weigh the benefits and risk before consuming cipralex further.

Hope this answers your query. Write if you have any further queries.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh