Taking cipralex. Is it safe to get pregnant?

Dear sir / madam,

I am currently in the process of stopping taking Cipralex (10 mg). I am now in my second week and taking 5mg a day. In two weeks I will take 5mg every other day. And after 2 weeks I will completely stop.

How long after I have completely stopped, is it safe to get pregnant?

Thank you!
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 55 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The medication you are on is called 'lexapro'. You are on very low doses currently, and tapering the medication is definitely the right way to get off of it.

It is actually of very little potential harm to a fetus. Based on what you are telling me, and the size of the doses you are currently taking, my answer would be to wait until you get your next normal cycle and then start trying after that. By the time you conceive, the amount in your system will be barely measurable.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions!