Taking cephilex for bacterial infection. Sleeping difficulty and chills. Taken Valerian and Melatonin. Side effects of medication?

I finished taking the antibiotic Cephilex 250mg for a bacterial skin infection last week. I went to a dematologist. It seems to have healed through I feel a little burning in the area from time to time. I have had a hard time sleeping the last 5 nights and last night I had chills and frequent bowel movements during the night. Is this possibly from the antibiotic and how long should it last. I'm exhausted..I have taken herbal remedies to sleep Valerian, melatonin nothing is really helping. I have periodic sleep problems but this is the worse. I still have some chills but no temp.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

Cephalosporin group of drugs may have some side effects like diarrhea,rash,fever,itching etc even after stopping the treatment with that drug.

It should get better with symptomatic treatment over the next few days.See your doctor for medication if the side effects are severe.

You should not ideally take any drugs for insomnia as there may be drug interactions and aggravate your symptoms.

Once the symptoms are recovering you may be prescribed some mild sleep medication.