Taking cephalexin for an abscessed pilonidal cyst. Is there any surgical procedure for removal of cyst?

I have an abscessed pilonidal cyst. It has not come to a head. I discovered a small dime size/insect bite size spot on my natal cleft 6 days ago. The mass is now almost softball size I took 4 doses of Sulphamethoxazole-TMP DS Tablet before I switched over to Cephalexin 500 mg 3x a day. I have an appointment with a colon-rectal specialist on Tuesday. My family is concerned that I have MRSA. I don't really want to have the ER XXXXXXX the abscess, but if I could haver MRSA due to the continued enlargement of the cysts, I don't want to leave that unchecked either. Also, I am concerned with having someone other than a colon-rectal specialist deal with this. Will the abscess need to come to a head, drain and be free of infection before a surgical procedure be done to remove the entire cyst. Also, I have been taking 400 mg of ibuprofun 2 x a day for pain. The bottle warns about using for more than 10 days from my research at WWW.WWWW.WW this is going to be a long healing process and very painful. What else can I take for pain?
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Close followup needed Detailed Answer: hello again thank you for sending the question. This is an excellent question and I will work in providing her with some information and recommendations. From the information you had submitted it looks like you have a serious infection. The size of this lesion isn't something which warrants immediate followup. I suggest that you report your local emergency department to see a physician as soon as possible. Emergency room doctors are well trained in this type of situation. The doctor might consider performing a minor procedure to help alleviate some of the pressure in remove some of the infected fluid from your body. A specialist can then evaluate you to see if you need some type of procedure to help nature this does not returned again. The antibiotics are helpful but sometimes a procedure is needed as the antibiotics did not penetrate deep into these type of cysts. Thank you again for sending her question. Sincerely, Dr. Galamaga