Taking cefixime,flexon,wikoryl and betadine gargle solution for throat infection. Are these medications safe during pregnancy?

Question
me & my husband had a throat infection. i took cefixime,flexon,wikoryl and betadine gargle soln.now i m ok &have stopped medicine today. Husband is still taking azithromycin and cefexime. CAN i plan pregnancy this month?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 30 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes, you can plan this month.

I do not see any problem with your plan.

Only during early pregnancy you should avoid taking any drugs without your doctor’s advice.

Please take care to avoid this kind of infection in early pregnancy, take healthy and nutritious diet to have good immunity.

One more thing, as you are planning for pregnancy please start taking folic acid tablets, taking folic acid during this time and early pregnancy is helpful in preventing some complications to the baby during pregnancy like brain development.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Taking cefixime,flexon,wikoryl and betadine gargle solution for throat infection. Are these medications safe during pregnancy? 14 hours later
thanks dr.
i have one more question.due to seasonal changes i hv sometimes breathing problem.so can i take serflo 250 &allegra120. will it harm in planning my pregnancy or during pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

Both of the drugs which you are talking about fall in category "C" for pregnancy. It means they need to be used carefully in pregnancy only after advice from your doctor. Your doctor will weigh risk versus benefit of using them.

You should not take them on your own.

Dr.Pragnesh