Taking cabergoline. Noticed thinning of hair. Blood test showed low iron levels. What to do?

I started taking cabergoline in November 2012 and by January I notice my hair was thinning dramatically so I went to my family doctor who suggested that maybe it was the medication. After searching online I found that there is a small percentage who may experience this side effect so I stopped taking the drug in April. In XXXXXXX I seen my endrocronologist who said she never heard of this symtom, she did blood test s and it showed my iron levels were low. So now im still not taking the drug has my periods have remained regular but am takin an over the counter iron suplement. My hair loss is still ongoing and not even slowing so my question is could this be from the drug or could there be some other medical problem?
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to iron deficiency

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

Cabergoline is an ergot derivative, is a potent dopamine receptor agonist on D2 receptors.It is mainly used in the treatment of higher prolactin stages.

Main side effects are GIT disturbances like nausea,vomiting , hypotension, edema, and some CNS disturbances.

Hair fall as a side effect of this is not documented, although very rarely it can happen with any medicine.

I think iron deficiency looks like the main cause of hair fall in your case, continue iron and the cabergoline and review in 6-8 weeks.

Please let me know if you need more information.