Taking bromocriptine for prolactinoma. Started gaining weight. Side effect?

I have a prolactinoma, diagnosed about 14 years ago, and it is treated with bromocriptine. I have tried coming off the pills twice now but always end up back on them because my prolactin levels increase dramatically. On treatment my prolactin is about 206, but when I stopped taking the pills in January my prolactine went to 1468 in just over 2 weeks. The endocrinologist says that my thyroid levels are ok, but I have continued to gain weight since my diagnosis. I have put on about 4 stone and no matter how I try it just won't come off me. It seems that the less I eat the more weight I gain. Is this connected to the prolactinoma or the pills and what can I do?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Bromocriptine is associated with side effects like loss of appetite which assists in weight loss. It is not likely to cause the weight gain that you are having.
You can consult your physician for a detailed blood work to rule out any metabolic disorders or the hormonal imbalances which can cause a weight gain.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.