Taking bosvate tablets and Accuretic. Continue for life time? Side effects? Affect my kidneys?

Hi doc .Iam taking bosvate 5 mg tablets and Accuretic 12.5mg tablets daily ( had a mild stroke lately)do I have to take them for life time?and will it affect my beautiful kidneys?.Any side effects in long run?.Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The possible benefits outweigh the risk

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The reason for the continued use of medication is to reduce the chance of recurrent stroke.

The problem with experiencing even a small initial stroke is that there is now an increased risk of a recurrent stroke.

The risk of a second stroke is approximately 8% in the first year according to some medical studies ( 8 out of 100 persons with an initial stroke) and it increases to at least 18 % by 4 yrs after.

The medication that has been recommended are to maintain your blood pressure within normal range. Maintaining a normal blood pressure reduces the chances of another event.

Other ways to reduce your risk would be: (2) control blood sugars if you are a diabetic

(3) controlling cholesterol

(4) stop smoking if this is an issue and decrease alcohol use

(5) reduce salt intake and exercise regularly. The recommendations is at least 150 mins a week

In terms of side effects of your medications, these are effects that may or may not occur.You may experience some or none of these effects.
this is generally well tolerated, possible effects are low heart rate, dizziness, shortness of breath, fatigue, headache

Accuretic: dry cough, runny nose, dizziness, headache, difficulty sleeping, increased uric acid in persons with gout

It would be important to weigh these risks with the benefits of stroke prevention.In terms of the kidneys, it is more likely to experience kidney failure due to uncontrolled blood pressure.
One of the medications that you are on, accuretic, is actually a kidney protective drug.
That class of drugs (ace inhibitors) is recommended to protect kidneys for damage particularly in diabetics.

If these medications do not agree with you then different ones may be suggested but it is very likely that you would need anti hypertensive medication for the long term.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Taking bosvate tablets and Accuretic. Continue for life time? Side effects? Affect my kidneys? 1 hour later
Thanks .A very well explained . And professionally .answered
I am a non smoker and stopped drinking. And I control my diet. Ian still on sick leave till Sep 30th. Can I go back to work afterwords?or enjoy my normal life?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can continue your normal life

Detailed Answer:

You can definitely go back to work if you are feeling up to it and resume your normal activities. The more active the better.

Please feel free to ask any other questions