Taking blood thinners for a blood clot in legs. How much time will it take to get normal?

my father has been taking bloodthinners for a blood clot in his right leg for 2months how long this take to issolve hes an american citizen who is visiting portugal im very worriedabout the care hes getting . do u know what i can do to help him ? do u know od the best specialist in that country?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Blood clot in vein may take long time to resolve and there is chance of it getting back if treatment is not continued for prolonged period. This usually means 6 months but may be more if risk factors for thrombosis are there (as assessed by the physician).
However, as he is already 2 months on therapy, dosages are presumably well adjusted and he needs only a routine monitoring of blood tests, etc. I am sure this can be done in Portugal.
I am unable to recommend the 'best' hematologist in Portugal but he can visit Dr XXXXXXX Joao, Hematologist and Professor of Immunology, Hematology Department, IPOFG Lisbon and New University of Lisbon, Portugal who will take good care of him.

Follow-up: Taking blood thinners for a blood clot in legs. How much time will it take to get normal? 18 hours later
Is traveling ok for h it's an 8hr flight r their precautions prior to flying that he should take? R compression hosiery advisable while the leg is still swollen is their XXXXXXX type of therapy to help with pain and swelling what foods should he avoid eating and drinking
If he can travel is their precautions to take prior to traveling thank u
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Yes he can wear compression stockings. There are many medicines to relieve pain. You can consult your physician for a prescription. He should move his limbs regularly during the flight and avoid alcohol.