Taking blood pressure and cholesterol medication. Does these medicine reduce the kidney function?

I am 83 and have no serious illnesses. I am taking one blood pressure medication 4 times a day and another which also contains a diuretic, once a day,. Also taking 1/2 of a cholesterol med per night, plus several vitamins. I was informed at my last checkup 5 months ago that my kidneys are down to 45%. My vitamin D was increased to 3 pills a day, and I will be checked again next month. My question is, can the med with the diuretic or possibly one of the other meds have caused this decrease in kidney function? I have been rigorously checked every three months for the past three years and this is the first mention of a kidney problem.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I need to know on what basis was the function declared as 45%?
Is it based on blood for creatinine or test for creatinine clearance?
The hypertension itself can cause reduction in kidney function and that explain better than the medicine itself, though some medicines are known to be damaging to the kidneys.
If available, I would like to see ultrasound scan report and reports of the bloods you have, so that we can follow up.

Follow-up: Taking blood pressure and cholesterol medication. Does these medicine reduce the kidney function? 56 minutes later
It was based on blood for ceatnine, but I do not have an ultrasound nor do I have the report on the blood taken when the condition was discovered. I am to have a re-check next month, at which time I will ask my regular doctor about this. I am trying to gather some advance information so that I can assist him better.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later

Welcome back.
We do not talk about percentage based on creatinine levels, but, may be can be used as a rough guide to make people understand better.
Once the creatinine levels are high, other tests like creatinine clearance, serum electrolytes, ultrasound scan are needed to assess the existing renal function.
Based on this renal diet, water allowance, will be the first ones to be advised.
Then control of high BP, supplements like calcium and vitamins will be advised.
Other advice will be based on clinical examination.

Hope this helps, Kindly get back for doubts if any.