Taking bisoprolol fumarate to regulate an ectopic heart beat. Is it safe to use viagra?

Question
Hi. I have been prescribed 2.5mg daily of bisoprolol fumarate to regulate an ectopic heart beat. I am due to have an echo shortly. I do not suffer from blood pressure or hypertension issues. Is it okay for me to use Viagra in a dose of 25mg? I am 46 years old.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 44 minutes later

Sidenafil or Viagra is a phosphodiestrase inhibitor used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction and pulmonary hypertension.

Although these are relatively safe drugs, especially if taken in prescribed dosage, its main concern are the cardiac and circulatory side effects.

It can cause hypotension or reduced blood pressure, irregular heart rate and in some cases even the heart attack.

That is the reason it is not indicated for a man with the known cardiac problems.

In your case, as you are already having irregular heart rate, and you are taking a beta blocker to control it, I will strongly suggest you to NOT to take VIAGRA as it can have serious side effects.

If you need further information, please let me know.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Taking bisoprolol fumarate to regulate an ectopic heart beat. Is it safe to use viagra? 1 hour later
Thanks, that's really useful. Is it likely that use of Viagra (probably twice a month over a 3 year period) is the cause of the ectopic beat?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 7 hours later
Hi

To name viagra as the cause, the time of onset of ectopic need to be known. I mean, did your irregular heart beat start roughly at the same time when viagra was started?
If the irregular heart beat was present before, then this is not the culprit, although what ever is the cause Viagra can make it worse.

A good thing is you are going for echocardiography, which should tell us about the structural anatomy of the heart. It will help in finding the cause of irregular heart rate.

Do let me know your echocardiography report.

Let me know if you have any other queries in the meanwhile.