Taking birth control, skin pulled out along with tampon, bleeding. What can I do about this?

Hi, I'm a 23 year old female, 5 feet 5 inches tall, 135 pounds, and I have been on birth control for a out 6 months. I am at the end of my period and this morning I was taking out a "lite" tampon and there was no blood on it so it was very hard to take out. When I finally got it out a piece of skin came down too and now it is just hanging from my vagina. It was also bleeding a lot this morning, not period blood, but bright red blood. I called my gyno and they said that it is probably just menstrual skin and if I still have questions I should call back in a few days. It is still hanging there and I have no idea what to do. It also seems to bleed when I use the bathroom and wipe. What can I do about this?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

It is unlikely that removing the tampon out even in case of dry skin could have caused a laceration wound ( the type which can make skin come out), you can only expect abrasions to the XXXXXXX One other possibility is herniation of the mucous membrane ( the tissue lining your vagina) which can also be felt as a flap or a skin.

But one should not ignore the fact that there is tissue (skin) which is either visible or is felt and is bleeding with fresh blood. I suggest you to get your self a physical exam to rule out a cut wound, this is very important because if at all there is a wound it could get infected even more so because you are in your periods right now.

In the mean time please use the following advice

1. Keep the area clean
2. Do not touch or scratch the area
3. Watch out for fever
4. Get yourself a physical exam soon

I hope I have answered to your query, please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Taking birth control, skin pulled out along with tampon, bleeding. What can I do about this? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I just have another question... if it is not necessarily a cut, is this something that would essentially heal on its own? If so, how long should I expect it to take?

I did call my gyno earlier today and they said that it was menstrual skin, which I assume is the same as what you said for the herniation of the muccus membrane. So since they are closed tomorrow, I'll call again Tuesday to set up an appointment, but I'm still worried at this point as to what exactly it is and how I can expect it to heal or what the doctor might need to do to fix it.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Thanks for replying

I understand your concern. From your given description, there is nothing to suggest that there is an emergency. I suggest you wait till Tuesday so that your doctor can have a look and diagnose it.

If it is a cut, it would take a week to 10 days to completely heal on its own. Its essential that you keeps the area clean and dry to prevent any bacterial infection.
If its a herniation, it might have to be fixed surgically. It is a small fairly simple procedure, which will be done under local anesthesia to prevent pain .

Please follow the advice given in my previous reply.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.