Taking birth control pills since one year. Having strong mood swings. Not pregnant. What to do? Remedy?

I have a question that might regard birth control. I started taking XXXXXXX last year around July and ever since then I have had strong mood swings. I stopped taking it around November and my mood swings appeared to have gotten both worse and better. Then I began to take it again in January and for the first month I was okay. However ever since then I still have mood swings. I have never really had such strong mood swings. Even though to other people it seem normal it is not normal for me. Or what used to be me. And I am NOT pregnant.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The frequent mood swings that you are having could be related to the hormonal changes in your body caused by the birth control pills, stress and anxiety.
Changes in the thyroid hormone levels, changes in the environmental factors and food habits can also cause such symptoms.
To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
You can also discuss the problem with your Gynecologist who will help in proper treatment after a few blood tests to find out the exact cause.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.