Taking birth control pill, regular exercising. How long do I have to wait to try to get pregnant after stopping the pill?

May 2013
Hi, I am a healthy 35 tear old woman. I am in great shape. I train at the gym and do cardio 5 times a week. I have been on the pill consistency since I was 16 years old. I have never taken a "break" from it. If I want to get pregnant, how long do I have to wait to try after I stop taking my birth control pills? I am on the 21 day pack, 7 days off the pill. Also at my age, is it tougher to get pregnant and are there any health risks to me or the baby? I have never been pregnant.
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
thanks for the query.

-generally after stopping oral pills it will take around 6 months for regularization of periods,

-as you used pills for long period, after stopping better to consult local gynecologist once and get examined along with one ultrasound to rule out presence of any side effects of pills.

-usually around 35 years the fertility capacity decreases because of factors like decreased ovarian reserve, and as age related diseases can occur by then etc.
with increased maternal age the babies may have chromosomal disorders like downs syndrome.

-but don't worry these are general considerations only and may not occur in all.
so you once get examined by gynecologist after stoppage of pills then proceed according to her advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.